This gratin features real cream cheese and butter. This delicious and wonderfully comforting winter casserole serves perfectly alongside roast meats or poultry.
Serves: 4 – 6
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
6 strips bacon, cut into 1/2 inch (1 cm) pieces
1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups (500 mL) thinly sliced leeks, white and light green parts only
1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leaves
2 tbsp (20 mL) whole-grain mustard
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) whipping cream
1 lb (450 g) sweet potatoes
1 lb (450 g) yellow-fleshed potatoes
1/2 cup (125 mL) freshly grated Parmesan
1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Asiago
1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Gouda
2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped chives
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C (390 degrees F). Lightly butter an 8 cup (2 L) shallow baking dish.
2. In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate; set aside. Drain off fat from skillet, reserving brown bits; reduce heat to medium and melt butter. Add garlic and leeks; cook stirring often for about 3 – 5 minutes or until slightly softened. Remove from heat; season with thyme and stir in mustard and cream; set aside.
3. Peel and thinly slice potatoes in about 1/8 inch thick and place one-third into prepared dish; sprinkle with half of the reserved bacon. Spoon half of the leek mixture over top. Repeat layer of potatoes, bacon, and leek mixture. Top with remaining potatoes.
4. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 – 50 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife. Remove foil and sprinkle with cheese; bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until cheese melts and sauce is bubbly.
5. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with chives.