Fresh pasta coated with cream, Canadian cheese and fresh herbs makes for a spectacular, refreshing, light-tasting dish.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh sage
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) crushed garlic
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh or frozen small green peas
- 1 cup (250 mL) Canadian Ricotta cheese
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb (450 g) fresh pasta
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) freshly grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh basil or mint
In a large skillet, combine butter and sage; heat over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until butter melts and sage starts to sizzle. Add garlic; sauté for about 1 minute or until butter and garlic start to brown. Gradually pour in vegetable broth, cream and lemon juice; cook stirring occasionally for about two minutes or until it comes to a boil. Add peas; return to boil, cook stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in Ricotta cheese and cook stirring until combined. Remove from heat.
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions or until desired doneness. Drain.
Add pasta to cream sauce in pan; toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and basil; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Photo courtesy of Valentina Hortus