They say that the secret to staying cool and hydrated is drinking plenty of water. Wow – that’s the worst secret ever. So maybe the real secret is finding a way to make gulping down all that agua appetizing, (without adding a ton of sugar). When it’s too hot to do anything but sit there and pant, here’s a few tasty ways to liven up your eight daily glasses of H2O that go beyond adding a slice of lemon to your glass:
Fruits – Berries, melons, citrus, apples, pears, peaches
Vegetables – Cucumber, celery, fennel, ginger
Herbs – Rosemary, thyme, mind, basil, cilantro, parsley
Edible Flowers – Rose, lavender, violets
Our favourite combos:
- Blackberry & Sage
- Citrus & Cilantro
- Lemon & Lavender
- Melon & Basil
- Pear & Fennel
- Patience! Let the water sit for a few hours to allow flavours to infuse. More time = more flavour. Some ingredients infuse more quickly than others. Citrus is pretty much instant. Herbs can take longer. Add some ice in your concoction and let it sit in the fridge for a while before drinking.
- Use glass bottles or jars with lids.
- Fruits and veggies can be peeled or unpeeled. Avoid produce that is overly ripe.
- Use thin slices or small cubes to infuse the flavour more quickly.
- If you’re using ingredients that come in smaller bits, tie them together in a cheesecloth.
- If you’re using a spring of herbs, give them a twist or use a spoon to “bruise” them/release their flavour.