The beginning of asparagus season is a cause to celebrate! This year, to learn more about our favourite vegetable, we took a trip to Scotland, Ontario to visit Welsh Bros. Farm, our choice asparagus provider at Michael-Angelo’s.
Welsh Bros. Farm is a family operation with roots dating back to 1855. Since then, the farm has grown in size, producing a wide variety of wonderful vegetables, including premium sweet corn and our favourite—asparagus!
We learned a lot on our farm visit, including how asparagus is picked, when the asparagus harvest begins, and the surprising fact that there are actually many different varieties of asparagus. Welsh Bros. Farm grows flavourful Millennium asparagus, an Ontario-born variety developed at the University of Guelph.
Some fun take-aways from our farm visit:
- Asparagus is typically harvested in late May and early June
- At Welsh Bros. Farm, all asparagus is hand-picked
- During harvest season, the field is picked daily
- Asparagus is a perennial crop
- After the asparagus root is planted, you have to wait three years to harvest the actual spear