Prep Time: 30 minutes
Baking Time: 45 minutes
1 500 g package XO Baking Co. Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Mix
1 tbsp (15 mL) finely ground Greek coffee powder or 2 tsp (10 mL) instant espresso or coffee powder
4 egg whites, room temperature
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1 cup (250 mL) sugar
2 tsp (10 mL) finely ground Greek coffee powder or 2 tsp (10 mL) instant espresso or coffee powder
1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced almonds, toasted (plus additional for decoration)
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) 35% whipping cream
1 tbsp (15 mL) amaretto liqueur (optional)
1 1/2 pints (about 3 cups [750 mL]) fresh raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). Prepared two 9 inch spring form pans by coating with cooking spray and sprinkling with cornstarch or cocoa. Line bottoms with parchment paper.
2. Prepare the cake mix according to package instructions, blending in coffee powder with last few stirs of batter. Pour cake batter into prepared pans and set aside.
3. Using a hand mixer, beat egg whites and salt for about 1 minute on medium speed, or until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar to meringue; continue beating until fluffy. Increase speed to high; add coffee powder and vanilla, continuing to beat until mixture is stiff and glossy.
4. Divide meringue onto each layer of cake batter, spreading evenly to pan edges using a spoon. Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
5. Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until top is lightly browned and the batter is dry when tested with toothpick. Cool layers completely on rack. (This part of the recipe can be prepared up to one day ahead of completion).
To Assemble Cake
1. Whip cream and icing sugar together until soft peaks hold their shape. Lightly fold in amaretto, if using.
2. Remove cake layer from pan and place one layer meringue side down on serving platter. Spread cake with half of whipped cream; sprinkle with half of raspberries.
3. Remove remaining cake layer from pan; place meringue side up onto cream and berry-topped layer. Swirl remaining whipped cream on top; sprinkle with remaining berries and additional toasted almonds, if desired. Keep refrigerated; serve within a few hours of assembling.