Elegant entertaining over the holidays is more than just throwing a fancy party. It’s a culmination of all the little details that make your holiday bash the one everyone looks forward to each year. How you achieve this is 1) a little festive R&D, 2) a little elbow grease and 3) your party “signature” – the part of the celebration that’s uniquely YOU. Whether that’s the food you serve, your decorative flair or your unusual party tricks, make sure you make it memorable – and fun!
Here are a few ideas to help you become the hostess with the mostest / host with the most:
- Keep your guests awake by serving lighter appetizers. Do you know what happens when someone eats four crab puffs, half a dozen Christmas cookies, a glass of eggnog, practically the whole wheel of brie and zzzzzzzzz…..
- Stagger food so that people can eat (and drink) over the whole evening,
- Make as much as you can ahead of time so you can enjoy your own party!
STAY AWAY FROM MULTIPLE DIY DRINKS
- Making everyone a customized drink can be very time consuming. Instead, pick one, like punch and stock up on beer & wine.
- Or, try Hot Chocolate Nog! Mix unsweetened cocoa powder, eggnog, rum, and brandy, with chocolate shavings for garnish!
PICK A STRONG PLAYLIST
Will you go with seasonal or non-seasonal tunes? Decide ahead of time so you don’t up wrestling with would-be DJ’s during your event. Also keep in mind, you may really enjoy Viking Death Metal (it’s a real thing) but forcing your guests to thrash along with you may not be the tone you want to set for a holiday party.
PRO DECORATING TIPS
- Stick with one theme and two or three colours. Decide on a palette before you shop.
- Choose white lights so that they can be used with any colour scheme, year after year.
- Forgo the centerpiece and make something edible, like a gingerbread house.
- Don’t forget the scents of the holiday season: baking cookies, pine, cinnamon, orange, nutmeg, cloves or vanilla.
GET IT CATERED
Feeding a large group of people is just not everyone’s cup of tea – if that’s you, consider getting part of all of the food catered. Is this a shameless plug for catering from Michael-Angelo’s? Yes! But the fact of the matter is, your friends and family won’t care who made the food (except maybe your mother). Check out our new selection of gifts & gift baskets here.