A classic of Portuguese comfort food, this favourite soup is full of flavour and packed with “that super food”. Forget that kale is loaded with calcium and vitamins C and K…it also tastes great.
Serves: 4 – 6
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 large white onion, diced
2 large yukon gold potatoes, peeled, finely diced
4 cups (1 L) Angelico’s Chicken Stock
1 package Borges chourico sausage (hot or sweet)
3 cups (750 mL) (about 1/2 bunch) tightly packed fresh kale, washed, stems removed
4 sprigs fresh thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1. Dice one chourico sausage; pierce remaining sausage in a few places with fork; set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat; add garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes or until lightly golden. Add onion and diced chourico, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes, or until onions are softened. Add potatoes, remaining whole chourico, chicken stock, thyme sprigs; bring to boil.
3. Reduce heat and cover; simmer for 45 minutes or until potatoes are completely softened, stirring occasionally. Remove whole chourico. Using a potato masher, press solifs until soup thickens and is mostly smooth. Remove thyme stems and discard. (This part of the recipe can be prepared up to 2 days ahead of completion).
4. Roll a few kale leaves into a tight, cigar-shaped roll; slice very thin with sharp knife. Repeat with remaining kale. Add half the sliced kale to soup, heating over medium heat and stirring for 1 minute or until just heated through but still bright green. Season with salt and pepper. Add additional heated broth if a thinner soup is desired. Thinly slice reserved cooked chourico.
5. Ladle soup into bowls, topping each with remaining fresh sliced kale, and chourico slices. Serve with grilled slices of Portuguese cornbread or crusty Calabrese bread.